Sunday, September 18, 2011

Moths of the Caldera


I created these moths to enter into the Caldera Art Award 2011 and to my great excitement I am a finalist!! The Caldera Art Award aims to promote the rich biodiversity of 'Australia's Green Cauldron' an area extending from Mt Warning in NSW through Springbrook, Mt Tamborine, Binna Burra and out to the Scenic Rim, Qld.
The Moths were created after two months of resarch trying to find out moths that are actually native to this area! I discovered just how many gaps there are in Australia's Moth knowledge.There are 20 000 to 30 000 species of moths in Australia and in comparison only 500 butterfly species. Opening night is Friday 23rd September 6pm at the Tweed river Gallery, Murwillumbah.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. these moths are absolutely amazing Therese.
    I am in awe of your creativity and skill...

    ReplyDelete